Posts tagged science
re: the florida tuition stuff
- if you’re not gonna smash the university then at least make it free for everyone but also.
- as someone who’s been on the science and non-science sides of undergrad education, and watched people trying to organise re: opposing tuition hikes in both faculties, i gotta say it’s disappointing to see some tumblr commentary that buys into the same assumptions as the report’s authors, namely that STEM grads are basically guaranteed well-paying jobs down the line.
- science is underfunded, and to be competitive for the small number of career paths that are actually lucrative you are generally signing up for a decade (or more depending on postdocs) of zero savings.
- obviously i’m not saying STEM fields get anywhere near as raw a deal as the humanities.
- i just think it’s important to counter the idea that our support for undergrad education is a zero-sum game split between STEM and non-STEM.
- especially given that in so many jurisdictions (at least in canada idk about the states) science and engineering degrees are way more expensive than arts degrees, a legacy of neoliberal reforms dating to the late 80s/early 90s, and that the Lucrative Guaranteed Career Path Productive Members Of Society bullshit really does result in STEM students being more complacent in the face of continual hikes. i see a real need for counternarratives.
Another lovely YouTube message:
don’t get it twisted i know you are a terrorist, i knew it the moment i checked out your blog..
You have an anti-israel post, i know all muslims are terrorists and i will tell you why. Muslims are taught to hate jews from childhood, there are countless videos on youtube from muslims calling for the destruction of of israel (a people), they chant that the end will not come until muslims fight the jews, I pity you for being involved in that death cult.
I could trash you and ridicule you which i do with most male muslims but i’m not going to, instead i invite you to become atheist, being an atheist makes you appreciate life, all that hate that religion produces will then seem silly and ridiculous to you, there is absolutely no reason to hate another human being to the point to want to see them dead. I know you want israel gone.
Islam produces nothing but judgmental people and martyrdom seekers, they think that by murdering themselves and people around them will appease a non-existent being.
Science on the other hand, it sets your mind free of all hate, it sets your life’s direction into appreciating reality, and make no mistake this is the only one life we get.
Become rational girl, leave the death cult and take off that silly sheet over your head. When you pray you are only talking to your self, there is nothing listening to you. It is illogical what you are doing silly girl, i invite you to study science, astrology, biology, history, then everything will begin to make sense to you. You are still young do not produce more little terrorists and embrace free thought instead.
WHY DO ATHEISTS FEEL THE NEED TO SHOVE THEIR APPARENT INTELLECTUAL SUPREMACY DOWN OTHER PEOPLES THROATS. Y’KNOW WHAT, IF I WANT TO PRAY TO THIN AIR, I WILL. OBVIOUSLY I DON’T BELIEVE THAT I’M TALKING TO MYSELF. OBVIOUSLY IT’S NOT JUST A SHEET ON MY HEAD.
SERIOUSLY. WHAT THE FK MAN.
ok obviously this person is an idiot and a bigot and incredibly pretentious — but it caught my eye as particularly stupid because the history of Islam is so intimately intertwined with the history of science. not just in that Muslims are and have been eminent scientists, but in that their faith was part of their drive towards scientific knowledge. algebra was invented partly to help make judgements in Islamic inheritance law. huge advances in astronomy, mathematics, and geography came about partly because people needed to know where to turn when they prayed to Mecca, when important religious dates were, and so on. it’s kind of common knowledge that the science of the Islamic world wiped the floor with European science for most of recorded history. just because scientists and powerful faith leaders have often been at odds in recent Western history, doesn’t mean that religion and science are inherently opposed. that’s what militant atheists don’t get. you study history, “Intellectual Quantum”.
Sandi Toksvig (via timeasuli)
one of my reasons
Well, if the artifact came from China (which is pretty common for ancient archaeological artifacts), Chinese civilization (like many others) has always gone by the lunar calendar, and a lunar cycle is roughly 28 days. So both women and men throughout Chinese history have marked out 28 day cycles. However, this nitpick doesn’t invalidate the larger point being made, which is that it’s so easy (in fact, we’re indoctrinated) to overlook women’s contributions in basically all areas of civilization and it very well may have been a woman who notched those incisions in that early calendar. (I also maintain the core belief that matriarchal societies were once prevalent and that women have led the way in most human cultural development.) It’s just that in this case, the writer’s assumption that solar calendars are the norm suggest a different kind of cultural assumption.
great point! also, lunar calendar =/= menstrual calendar, most people who menstruate don’t have a cycle that’s exactly in sync with the moon, and the moon being coded feminine is not universal across cultures. it’s actually pretty unlikely that the original calendar was a menstrual chart. (more.)
i actually lol whenever this happens because anyone who thinks like anon clearly has no knowledge of evolution/natural selection/biology in general
for one thing “survival of the fittest” is not even a darwinian term it was coined by herbert spencer who was a social darwinist and social darwinism is dependent on a misinterpretation of the process of natural selection
all natural selection says is that those organisms best adapted to their environment will, theoretically, survive to reproduce and pass on their adaptive traits, unless for example they get eaten by a lion — so nothing is certain anyhow
and in humans’ case one of our major evolutionary adaptations has been the ability to produce technology as well as complex societies that depend on interpersonal cooperation
we are the species with the most advanced technology and the most advanced social behavior, and in theory, both of those things can easily be used FOR THE BENEFIT OF DISABLED PEOPLE
THE WAY WE’VE EVOLVED HAS MADE US PRETTY MUCH THE IDEAL SPECIES FOR SUPPORTING ITS DISABLED INDIVIDUALS, SUCK ON THAT